Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Boilogical Poetry: Part 01

From: George Mayhew”

“One truth in life is the need to laugh at difficult situations.  Humour can make a difficult task more enjoyable.  I think that this group is uniquely suited to understand the repetitious nature of high throughput sequencing.  So I'm passing along a piece of humour constructed by one of our lab technicians.  Feel free to pass it along to your technicians or anyone else who might appreciate the inside humour.”--George Mayhew

(with sincere apologies to the musical group Chumbawumba)

                "Labgrumping"

   (to the tune of "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba)

I take gels down, and put 'em up again,
        and I run 'em for another round.
I take gels down, and put 'em up again,
        and I run 'em for another round.

Sequencing DNA, sequencing DNA.

We wash the plates again, we pour the gels again,
        we wash the gels again, we flip the combs again,

Then we retrack and extract all the gel files,
        then we analyze and dump all the sample files.

No life for me, life for me, life for meeee....

I take gels down, and put 'em up again,
        and I run 'em for another round.
I take gels down, and put 'em up again,
        and I run 'em for another round.



From: "John F. Reynolds"

“This poem was a favorite of Walter Hempfling, Microbiology professor at the
University of Rochester, and one of the finest teachers I ever had.  I don't know his source.”John F. Reynolds

Two cells of E. coli were wandering slowly
Down the gastrointestinal tract.
An F+ was he, an F- was she,
And their membranes were bound to attract.

Now the dainty F- was born in a sinus
Where her members did seldom trespass,
But the brawnt F+ was spawned in some pus,
And produced both acid and gas.

A kiss he had stolen, down deep in the colon;
"Don't touch me", she said, "or I'll scream!
I have no protection, and an F+ infection
Would spoil my maidenly dream."

So the poor lonely fella withdrew his flagella
And worshipped her from afar;
"At least", he said, "wait, till I can mutate
And come back an HFR."


From: “Bill Kalionis”


                     The Sequencers Lament”

To the tune of "Send in the Clowns"

So this is it,
A few bases to go,
I've tried and I've tried but the techniques's so slow.
I've poured my gels,
I've run quite a few.
Full of bubbles, they leaked and why I never knew.
But where are the clones?
I've got to have clones,
The end is so near.

Is my broth rich?
Does it look clear?
Contamination is something I always fear.
Are my plaques blue?
They shouldnt be,
No DNA left I'm down on my knees,
So give me some clones?
I've got to have clones,
The end is so near.

I've had bad preps,
There've been quite a few,
Ive tried all brands of PEG, fresh buffers, but nothing would do.
And though they say,
Solutions will keep,
In my hands they last no more than a week.
So send me some clones?
I've got to have clones,
The end is so near.

I've read my gels,
My eyes are quite sore,
There's still sequence missing, of this I am sure.
But there it is!!
Finally done.
I've conquered this fragment and now I have won.
Whats's this I hear?
A voice from the door.
My supervisor wants 10kb more!
So give me some clones,
I've got to have clones,
Or I'll be here all year!



From: "rusty"

A biologist of world renown
says a chromosome's gender is found
by being so bold
as to take a good hold
of it's genes...and then pull them down.


From: “John Scalzi”


                      “ODE TO A CLONE”

(This originally appeared in America Online's "Howdy" area on March 6th.)

Oh clone, my clone, how can you bear it
To exist knowing you have only one parent?
No zygote you, when haploid cells met
You were produced with a full chromosome set.
And now I can see that you are confused
To discover your genes have arrived slightly used.
To answer your questions is the aim of this poem
You who are like me, my clone, oh my clone.

You were not produced from between sweaty sheets
In fact, you arose from cells scraped off of my cheek.
Your genes gently placed in an egg we provided
And then shocked with a current until they divided.
You sat there a while till it was time to fish
That thing that was you from that petri dish.
(And though it may seem churlish at this time to mention,
we suspect that the dish had post-partum depression).

Oh clone, my clone, don't feel angst or feel grief
Because the genes that you have are not bought but are leased.
You have no mother, but that's no impediment
Indeed, you've bypassed the whole Complex of Oedipus.
To your one parent you can always relate
To do otherwise is a form of self hate.
Who can tell us apart when we answer the phone?
No one at all, my clone, oh my clone.

Think of all the experiences we'll have!
(That is, once they allow you to go from the lab).
I'll take you to places that I've already been
So you can see them once more for the first time again.
Let's go to work, where I think we will find
That we'll get twice as much done in just half the time.
And should we play tennis, our opponents have troubles
As they must play singles, but we shall play doubles.

Oh clone, my clone, I see you are vexed
By ethical issues admittedly complex.
If you are my clone, are you wed to my wife?
And would having two husbands cause marital strife?
Suppose that we clone her? Then what would that be?
Bigamy, polygamy, or polyandry?
Oh, the guilt I would have would go to the bone
If I accidentally slept with your wife, oh my clone.

Perhaps it would be better if we lived all our days
Away from each other -- and go separate ways.
I would stay here and live with my mate
And you would take yours to some other state
Perhaps to Alaska, with Northern Lights blue
To live off the land, in a hut or igloo.
And with a deep sense of pride all my friends would be shown
Many pictures of your house, a Nome clone dome home.

Oh clone, my clone, you impressive feat
The one person born with no help from gametes.
When you have troubles getting yourself to sleep
Do you think on your compatriot, Dolly the sheep?
It's true that we both share our genetic information
But I know that your mind performs its own peregrinations.
In the end I am me, and you are just you alone
You are your own person, my clone, oh my clone.


From: “Keith Bostic”


           MARY HAD A LITTLE FLOCK”

Mary had a little lamb,
   then two and three and four.
And each a perfect replica
   of all that went before.
The followed her to school one day
   which was against the rule.
It made the children laugh and play
   to see her flock at school.
The teacher turned the woolies out
   to wait the bell at four.
But when the children tried to leave
   more sheep had jammed the door.
"What makes those lambs love Mary so?"
   The eager children fish.
Says teacher, dialing 9-1-1:
   "She's got the Petri dish."


From: "Norma van der Plaas"

Mary had a little lamb,
Its fleece was slightly grey,
It didn't have a father,
Just some borrowed DNA.

It sort of had a mother,
Though the ovum was on loan,
It was not so much a lambkin,
As a little lamby clone.

And soon it had a fellow clone,
And soon it had some more,
They followed her to school one day,
All cramming through the door.

 It made the children laugh and sing,
The teachers found it droll,
There were too many lamby clones,
For Mary to control.

 No other could control the sheep,
 Since their programs didn't vary,
 So the scientists resolved it all,
 By simply cloning Mary.

 But now they feel quite sheepish,
Those scientists unwary,
 One problem solved, but what to do,
 With Mary, Mary, Mary...
~ unk


From: “Randy Willis”


(1)A Mad Scientist Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas and all thru my house,
Not a specimen was stirring, not even a louse.
The test tubes were capped and the rat cages closed,
The mold cultures fuzzy, the mice in repose.
The oven kept warm the ebola and pox,
I still need to locate my husband's clean socks...
But that has to wait till tomorrow, I know;
My buggies still need that much more time to grow.

When from the kitchen came a massive explosion,
I leapt from my bed in perpetual motion.
Grabbing my lab coat I pulled on my pants,
Struggling into them a sick sort of dance.
With fury and haste I put on a shirt,
Running out of the bedroom on feet black with dirt.
Buttoning my lab coat and donning a mask,
I ran into the kitchen holding an Erlenmeyer flask.

I nearly passed out when the man who I saw,
dressed in containment gear sealed without flaw,
Held high a huge sack with his arm stiff and straight,
I could tell he must have a hard time with his weight.
Through the mike from his suit he said without pause,
"Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas, I'm Hanta Claus!"
Over his shoulder he hefted the sack,
We walked into the living room, I offered a snack.
He took it and smiled, placed the sack by my bench,
Instantly I noticed the Clostridium stench.
Brimming with joy, I cried out with glee,
"Did you bring all of these germies for me?"
"Oh yes," said Hanta, "I must show propriety;
By bringing you microbes, I'm saving society.
"You are the only one who loves these diseases.
Therefore I'm glad to oblige who it pleases."

Delirious with excitement I sat by his side
While he gave me a year's stock of microscope slides,
And pasteur pipettes, drug resistant bacteria,
Such as staph, strep and cultures from the genus Neisseria.

The gleam in my eyes caused the house to be lit,
The moment he gave me a gram-staining kit,
Clostridium tetani, perfringens and sporogenes,
Salmonella typhi and Streptococcus pyogenes!
Plus viruses known to produce hepatitis,
Herpes, and rabies, yellow fever and meningitis!
But that was not all, he had parasites too,
Plasmodia, trypanosomes and schistosomes true!
Tapeworms and roundworms, plague-carrying fleas.
How sincerely generous, Hanta did aim to please!

At long last he said he must now go away,
His sled was experiencing radioactive decay.
"Thanks for the presents," I said, shaking his hand,
"They'll keep me off the streets, you understand."

Hanta Claus smiled and bid me goodnight,
Shouting "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good blight!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(2) Hark! The Streptococcus Brings

Hark! the Streptococcus brings
Strep sore throat to all who sing,
Chloraseptic doesn't cure it
Other people's sneezing lures it.
If the strep bug has a virus
Scarlet fever then arises,
Cross reaction with the heart
Causes it to come apart,
Hark! the Streptococcus totes,
Toxin and fire to all it smotes.

Pneumonia makes you cough and wheeze,
Mucus fills the lungs with sleaze
A viscous greenish oozing cloak,
That causes you to gasp and choke
Without water you can drown
If you breathe the strep germ down
Hark! The Streptococcus breeds
The misery of a bad disease

Of fecal strep in food beware,
Methane gas befouls the air,
Speedily you drop your pants
As if they held live fire ants
On the toilet you are dying
Bent in pain, guts liquefying
Hail! the Streptococcus means
Glory to those who would be lean
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(3) O Humid Night

O Humid Night
Anopheline mosquitoes
Are circling you in the hope of a meal.
She takes a bite, saliva from her mouthparts
Drool parasites which you can't see or feel

Your brain can get sick,
You will have a coma
After the rage and the headaches have passed
You're veggie soup, home to protozoa,
Mosquito lands, time to go home at last..

Fall on your knees,
Pale, burning with fever
Plasmodia
Are in your blood, were in your spleen
Malaria
There's no real cure, just in your dreams...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(4) Away in a Test Tube

Away in a test tube
My plague cultures grow
On nutrient agar
Mankind's greatest foe

It's easy to grow them
If one does it right
At thirty-five Celsius
All day and all night

Once they are ready
You can let them go
To sicken the masses
With pus-filled buboes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


From: “Al Willis”

This Salk by the name of Jonas
Promised wealth and a title and bonus
   To these monkeys called Rhesus
   Who agreed, "You can lease us,"
But don't come on strong like you own us."


From: “Adrian Thompson”

     “My Cold”

You became part of me,  
just when, I'm not quite sure.  
Most Likely in the subway,  
where the air is not so pure.  

Borne by airborne droplets,  
sprayed out by some sneeze,  
from some afflicted victim,  
then carried by the breeze.  

First my throat was sore.  
Now my nose is streaming.  
Viri in my head and chest,  
Their numbers must be teeming.  

It seems unthinkable  
that such a tiny sphere  
300 Angstroms wide  
has left me lying here.  

But, I know this is an old war  
my body's fought before.  
Little does this virus know  
what there is in store.
   
In my spleen the leucocytes  
issued with their warrant,  
spill out into my blood  
and are carried by the torrent.  

Into all capillaries  
and annexes they stray,  
seeking virus O-1-4  
until they find their prey.  

"Feed a cold" someone said.  
I ate and drank my fill.  
Knowing that more leucocytes  
would go in for the kill.  

Now I am much better.  
My head is feeling clear.  
A day in bed to sweat it out  
has brought the end quite near.  

Here is the epilogue:  
Just when I thought I'd won,  
I looked up at Fabienne  
and knew I'd passed it on!


From: “Al Willis”

The transplant had finally started.
The incision was carefully charted.
  The dog was just sliced,
  And the chicken was spliced,
And the dog is now chicken-hearted.


From: “al Willis”

Sal is feared by all of us,
But he's a decent fella.
His label is a handicap:
His name is Sal Monella.


From: “H Ibelgaufts”


        “Bacterial Genetics”

When studying bacterial mating
Lederberg found it frustrating
to make things look nice
and do everything twice
he invented replica plating

Reassociation kinetics:

A scientist studying Cot
and to him it meant rather a lot
the lines that he plotted
were very much dotted
but the referee thought it was Rot..


From: “Osam Mazda”

A Scientist thought of a theory on lymphocyte
after drinking overnight
The theory became complicated more and more
until finally nobody understood it any more
And the reality was not also in his sight..


From: “Peter Klaren”

“A couple of years ago I bought The Biochemist's Songbook. It's great! It's got all major biological pathways described and set to the tune of popular (folk) songs.”Peter Klaren


*** Protein Synthesis ***                       (Tune: My Bonnie Is Over The Ocean)

The primary sequence of proteins
Is coded within DNA
On the sense strand of the double helix
coiled antiparallel way

(chorus:)
Intron and exons
changes are posttranscriptional, and all
Glycosylations
Don't alter such basics at all


*** The Michaelis Anthem ***                                    (Tune: The Red Flag)

The substrate changed by an enzyme
Initially, in unit time
Varies, if not in excess
With substrate concentration, [S]
If enzyme concentration's low
And reaction back from product's slow
Then if we choose a steady state
Velocity and [S] relate.

This relationship can be derived
As Briggs and Haldane first contrived:
The unbound enzyme, [E], we guess
Is [E0] (total), less [ES]
k1[S][E] gives [ES] formation
and k2[ES], dissociation
And [ES] gives the product, P,
At a rate that's [ES] times k3

When [ES] is at the steady state
These terms are all seen to relate
([E0] less [ES]) times k1[S]
Equals (k2 + k3) times [ES]
Now the maximum velocity
is k3[E0], (or big V)
These terms can be manipulated
If one more definition's stated

Define as Km (just for fun)
(k2 + k3) on k1
And note that v (velocity)
Is always [ES] times k3
Then rearranging these equations
We get the final rate equation
V times [S] on Km + [S]
is v (initial) - more or less


*** The Respiratory Chain ***                                (Tune: Battle Hymn of The Republic)

My eyes have seen the glory of respiratory chain
In every mitochondrium intrinsic to membranes
Functionally organised in complex sub-domaines
Where electron flow along

(chorus)
Glory, glory respiration
Glory, glory respiration
Glory, glory respiration
Where electrons flow along


*** Photosynthesis ***                                                       (Tune: Auld Lang Syne)

When sunlight bathes the chloroplast, and photons are absorbed
The energy's transduced so fast that food is quickly stored,
Photosynthetic greenery traps light the spectrum through
Then dark pathway machinery fixes the CO2.

Two chlorophylls (a, b to you) are cleverly deployed
In photosystems I and II, within the thylakoid
System I takes energy, at 700 (red)
While system II (with pigment b) takes 680 instead.


..... and then on and on for 7 stanzas....

Here's the reference:

Harold Baum (1982). The Biochemists' Songbook. Pergamon Press, Oxford,
New York. (ISBN 0-08-027370-X)


From: “Noel Fong”

There was once a cloner named Hector,
who had problems in his private sector,
his wife was depressed,
'cos his genes weren't experessed,
for lack of a functioning vector!


From:mini-AIR”


A biology prof name of Caster
Had a project she knew would outlast her,
For it was most complex,
Aimed at changing the sex
Of drosophila melanogaster.
                    --Don Homuth


A biology prof name of Cast-
er who's project she wanted to last
Took an idea complex
Aimed at changing the sex
Of drisophila melanogaster.
                    -- Jay M. Pasachoff


The zoology coed did squirm
At the lab quiz that ended the term.
When asked "What are tadpoles?",
(In the specimen bowls),
She wrote down "They are elephant sperm."
                     --David Hormuth

A research professor (Renee),
Cloned people from ape DNA.
The project went well,
Anyone can tell,
'Cause they're members of congress today.
                    --Frank Weisel  Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD



Collected By: Neel Kosto

No comments:

Post a Comment